If you’ve been following the news, you have probably seen that in certain parts of North America (and really the world), there are extremely high levels of radon. We just read that in Edmonton, Canada the Lung Association is calling for homeowners to get their homes tested for radon. Since this blog is all about your overall health, we thought it was important to cover this important topic and suggest that everyone gets their home’s radon levels checked.
What is Radon?
According to the American Lung Association, radon is, “a naturally occurring gas that can have a big impact on indoor air quality and your health. You can’t see or smell it, and radon can build up inside homes, buildings and schools to dangerous levels. Exposure to high levels of radon can cause lung cancer.”
The fact that radon can’t be seen or smelled is what makes it particularly scary! Lung cancer that is affected/associated with radon account for approximately 21,000 deaths annually in the United States. (source)